The Head On Photo Festival is an annual event which features a wide range of photography across all genres with over 80 events at almost 70 venues.
At the heart of the festival is Head On Portrait Prize which is the nation’s major innovative showcase for Australian portrait photography, reflecting a diverse cross-section of new and traditional photographic practices. It is the most critically acclaimed photographic portrait competition in Australia.
Both the Head On Photo Festival and Head On Portrait Prize are innovations of Head On Foundation; a non-profit organisation founded in 2008. The foundation aims to promote photography, to encourage excellence and innovation and to raise awareness of important issues through photography.
Agileware provide annual sponsorship to the festival which includes maintenance and support services for the Drupal website and staff which power the Head On Photo Festival.
The Head On Photo Festival website was developed by Agileware and includes:
- Custom Drupal theme based on a donated Photoshop design
- Custom Drupal modules
- eCommerce shopping cart with Paypal integration
- Workflow processes for accepting photo competition entries
- Photo gallery
- Event calendar and listing with Google Maps integration,
- Drupal technical training for web masters and editors
- Drupal website hosting services
- On-going website support including Drupal software maintenance
In 2010, the festival was a resounding success for everyone who participated: galleries and other venues, photographers, Head On partners and the viewing public. The festival was opened by the Minister for the Arts, Peter Garrett and it attracted widespread media coverage including major outlets such as SBS and ABC television, ABC radio and The Sydney Morning Herald.